About HCSD

The Hillsborough City School District, located in the suburban community of Hillsborough on the San Francisco peninsula, is made up of 3 Elementary Schools and 1 Middle School.

Our state test scores regularly put our district in the top 1% of districts in the state. However, we feel strongly about social/emotional learning as well as academics, and pride ourselves in helping to nurture children in these areas. Our long success is based on high quality staff, committed and involved families, a supportive Board, and a common vision.

The Hillsborough City School District is a community funded district, sometimes referred to as “basic aid.” We are well-supported by our community, have an active Hillsborough Schools Foundation and a parcel tax to help us fund programs for students, and also partner with the Town of Hillsborough and community organizations on our shared mission of promoting a healthy and safe environment for families.

District History

The first Hillsborough school was housed in the George Howard home located near Roehamptom and Richmond Roads. In 1911, it was used as a combination City Hall, Fire Department, and community center. A classroom was built, and a teacher-principal was hired for the six students enrolled.

The first portion of the SOUTH HILLSBOROUGH SCHOOL was completed in 1917. The school consisted of an office, cafeteria, library, and nine classrooms for children attending kindergarten through eighth grade. In 1930, the auditorium was built. During the 1940s, a section of the polo field was acquired for the playground, and in 1948, a field house was constructed. New classrooms and the Koshland Memorial Library were added in 1964, and a new multi-purpose room was added in 2010. South has been designated a California Distinguished School in 1987, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2012.

NORTH HILLSBOROUGH SCHOOL opened its doors in September, 1950, with an enrollment of 175 children. Additions were completed in 1952 and 1956. In response to declining enrollment and limited state funding, North School was closed between 1985 and 1990. In the interim, it was used for recreational, educational and civic purposes. A new multi-purpose room was added in 2010. North has been designated a California Distinguished School in 1995, 2000, 2004 and 2010, and 2014.

Land for the WEST HILLSBOROUGH SCHOOL was purchased in 1953, and the third elementary school was opened the following year. Additional facilities were built in 1955. The multi-media center was completed in 1972, a new classroom wing was built in 2011, and a second new classroom wing was built in 2014. West has been designated a California Distinguished School in 1987, 1993, 1997, 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2014.

In 1959, WILLIAM H. CROCKER MIDDLE SCHOOL was opened for seventh and eighth graders. The sixth graders became part of the student body in 1972. That same year, the Gertrude Hinton Learning Center, science facilities, gymnasium, and unified arts center were built. A new building opened in 2010 that housed classrooms, a television studio, computer labs, and a band room. Crocker was designated a California Distinguished School in 1982, 1988, 1992, 1994, 1999, 2003, 2007, and 2011. Crocker also received the National Blue Ribbon Secondary School, Excellence in Education Award in 1983, 1989, 1996 and 2005. Crocker is the only middle school in the United States to be recognized four times. Please note that the school no longer qualifies for this award as it is now given to either low socio-economic schools that are beating the odds or to schools that have made significant improvements in test scores (Crocker’s scores are already near the top and thus cannot much improve). In 1993, Crocker achieved world class status by being recognized by the Royal Swedish Academy as one of the top five schools in the world.

Protection for Undocumented Students in the Hillsborough City School District

Click here for information.

Connect

    • 300 El Cerrito Avenue
    • Hillsborough,
    • CA
    • 94010
  • Phone (650) 342-5193
  • Fax (650) 342-6964

Our schools have received 26 California Distinguished School Awards, 7 National Blue Ribbon Awards, 29 Kent Awards for Innovative Programs, and numerous other accolades. Our success is due to high quality staff members, committed and involved families and community members, a supportive Board, a cohesive vision, and a strong commitment to excellence.

More than two decades of research findings are unequivocal: the most important aspect of a school in terms of student learning is teacher quality, and our teachers are among the best!

Students in K-2 have access to a reading specialist. 3rd-5th grade students participate in our Innovation Labs where they create and explore. K-5 students participate in music classes, and 4th-8th grade students have access to instrument instruction. Spanish instruction begins in 4th grade, and Mandarin is offered in our middle school. All of our schools have a dedicated counselor, teacher librarian, physical educator, and more!

Through the generosity of donors, the Hillsborough Schools Foundation pledged $3.5 million to our schools for this school year. Last year's Fund-A-Need raised funds for traffic and safety. We purchased AEDs for each site, created a new lane at Crocker to ease congestion, and upgraded the safety of our sites through several other facilities projects. Thank you!

Click on "News" for an archive of all of our E-Notify messages. Also, check out our Twitter feed on our home page for more information about our award-winning schools.

powered by finalsite